New homeowners often do not understand how all the systems in their house work. Most systems need little maintenance. Some, however, can cause major damage when they break. This list details the essential items a homeowner should check on a yearly basis. Rather than listing everything that can go wrong or break, this list concentrates on high value items.
1) Change your furnace filter regularly:
In rare cases a clogged air filter can lead to a cracked heat exchanger and an expensive furnace repair.
2) Change the anode in your tank style water heater:
Without an intact anode your water heater will rust.
3) Clean the the drier exhaust duct:
Lint in the exhaust duct will not only make your drier work harder, it is also a fire hazard.
4) Inspect your washer's water hoses:
Cheap supply hoses are one of the most common causes of water damage in the US.
5) Clean your gutters:
Water can escape the gutter and end up in your walls and basement.
6) Clean your fridge's heat exchanger:
Dirty coils make your fridge work harder. Cleaning them once a year will save you money.
7) Turn the water off when you leave for vacation:
Water is often more destructive than fire. Don't give it a chance to strike when you are not home.